Add the same letter to all the given words (within a set) and anagram to get a synonym of:
- Bird, Precious metal, Humour, Residue
- Element, horticulturist, stroller, foster
- Herb, cooking ingredient, heavenly body, loner
- Weather phenomenon, delirium, refuge
1) X is derived from the French word ‘Qarante’ for 40. Whenever a ship arriving in a port was suspected of being infected, it had to undergo a period of 40 days without contact to the shore. X today means forced isolation.
2) X is said to be derived from ‘fawney’- pirate slang for fake gold items. Today, X is used for anything that isn’t genuine.
3) Members of a particular terrorist group had the practice of smoking hashish and then murdering eminent personalities, hence given the name ‘hashishiyyin’. Through centuries of mispronunciation, the English word X is derived from this. X has a meaning very similar to the origin.
Scroll down for solutions.
1) Add M
LOAFING : Flamingo
DECOY : Comedy
NUPTIAL : Platinum
TANNER : Remnant
2) Element, horticulturist, stroller, foster
CASEIN : Arsenic
BLAME : Ambler
UNTRUE : Nurture
DERANGE : Gardener
3) Herb, cooking ingredient, heavenly body, loner
ORANGE : Oregano
DASTIER : Asteroid
TIRUDES : Outsider
GAUNT : Nougat
4) Weather phenomenon, delirium, refuge
PHOTON : Typhoon
MAULS : Asylum
HASTIER : Hysteria